Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Annoying Word Usage

Here are some words that are often incorrectly used and/or pronounced. I'm always irritated when I hear or see them and so poke fun at them and their users now.

Asterick

What the hell is that? Why do so many - mostly Americans - find it difficult to say asterisk?

Aks or Axe

As in: "I want to aks you a question", I'm not being racist here but it's mostly black Americans who can't say "ask".

Heighth

American again I'm afraid, the word is height, there's no "th" on the end of it!

Uz

Uzed or used by people in the west of Scotland, I can't understand this one, what's wrong with uz or us?

Eck Cetera

Sounds like the name of a Scottish footballer but no, I've heard it blethered all over the world etc. or even et cetera.

But

Another west Scotland one. What's wrong with "but"?, you may say. Well, nothing, as long as it's not the last word in a sentence as in:

"I'm going to the pub but."

or:

"What's for dinner but?"

Sorry world, some of us do talk like that!

Finally, the daddy of them all and almost the exclusive property of George W. Bush, the fabulous word:

Nukular

Much more difficult to pronounce than the real word nuclear, George looks as though he's trying really hard to concentrate when he utters it. I imagine the following with one of his language coaches:

"Now Mr President it's quite simple, say the word 'new' " (George says it)

"That's great sir, now say the word 'clear' " (again George obliges)

"Finally sir, put them together and you have?"

"Nukular", says George.

"Close, Mr President, close".

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see your not a fan of that religious asshole Bush.

3:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home