Thursday, June 01, 2006

Religion's Red Giant


An editorial in the publication “Science & Theology News” - strange bedfellows title; I think – slates Richard Dawkins for his recent TV program that highlighted a few of the evil deeds perpetrated these days in the name of religion. The writer seems to think that educated men like Dawkins should be more respectful to the faithful and their faith and refrain from treating them with ridicule. He also seems to agree with Ted Haggard (the maniacal-looking religious fanatic) that Dawkins was being arrogant.

Arrogant! What could be more arrogant than a fairy tale-believing religite who looks down upon those not of his delusion, and has the audacity to expect to be respected for his madness? For sheer arrogance beyond all measure, religious maniacs are without comparison!

I once had a girlfriend who tried to get me to study theology, five minutes later she was no longer my girlfriend. I asked her what use I could put theology to, what was there to learn? Apart from knowing the content of one book, how can the student be tested? How do you write a theological thesis? Theology, I said, was a nonsensical subject, if subject at all!

I agree entirely with Richard Dawkins; religion is not worthy of the respect some of us still give it. Ridiculing it – in my opinion – is perhaps not the right approach but it’s a lot more appropriate than respecting it!

Religion, and its’ current state, reminds me of the life of a star; a star in its red giant phase. Religion seems to be swelling as does a star in its final death throes before exploding and eventually shrinking to become a cold dead rock.

Let’s hope we can get through the red giant phase as quickly as possible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home