Monday, January 16, 2006

Book: The Demon Haunted World


This is the first of many book reviews I plan to write from time to time, my reviews will not be in-depth critiques of the work, just the reasons for my recommendations of it. I first read this book immediately after its first publication in 1997; it's been reviewed hundreds of times already, but since it’s the best book I’ve ever read and the current world needs its wisdom so badly, I’m going to plug it again.

I don’t care who you are, what you are or where you come from, you need to read this book. It could serve very well as the thinking person’s bible; it is Carl Sagan’s:

“The Demon Haunted World: Science As a Candle In The Dark”

Whatever you may think of Sagan as a person, no sane reader can deny the value of this book, it’s a veritable gold mine of information and good sense written in Sagan’s elegant style showing his masterly command of the English language. Because it’s written so well, it’s an easily read work that should be made required reading for secondary school children, perhaps they could convince their parents to read it as well!

Each chapter is a gem but two stand out for special mention these are; “The Dragon In My Garage” and “The Baloney Detection Kit”. If you’re not already a critical thinker, digesting these chapters alone will set you on the right path and you’ll never fall for bullshit again.

I repeat; buy it, borrow it, steal it, do whatever you need to do to get your hands on it, it’s a must have item.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home