Wednesday, October 12, 2005

The Lion


Who is The Lion? Well, it's my nickname for soprano June Anderson. With that mane of golden hair she is somewhat reminiscent of a lion (not a lioness) but I call her "The Lion" more for her bravura performances on stage and tremendous voice.

Way down this blog I have a small post about her asking if she was in the movie "Amadeus", it turns out that she was not on screen but it was June who sang the famous Queen of The Night aria "Der Holle Rache" , in the film.

I haven't seen or heard her lately and to be honest, I don't particularly want to. I fear that in the elapsed ten years she may have declined a little and I want to remember her as she was then, in the recordings and DVD I have of her.

June is not a pretty woman - she is beautiful; the pleasure she gives me when I listen to her is more valuable than mere physical characteristics. Her effortless high notes, purity of tone and amazing coloratura work make her rank very highly in my list of the best sopranos. If I got the chance to see her in a good production of "Lucia Di Lammermoor", it would certainly be at the top of things I'd want to do before I die.

So June, if by chance you happen to read this, I want to thank you and make you aware that your fine artistry is greatly appreciated, may you live long and happily.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home