Friday, December 03, 2004

Ideas and Theories

I'm fed up hearing the phrase "it's just a theory" being used. Of course, it's always people who don't know what a theory is, that use the phrase. This short post is for their benefit.

A theory makes predictions that can be verified by observation. If a theory's predictions disagree with observation, the theory is wrong; it will be modified or perhaps discarded. Clearly then, a theory that survives such testing is very likely to be of high value and until a better one comes along, it may be the accepted wisdom.

People using "just a theory" are confusing theories with ideas. There are good ideas and bad ideas, there are no bad theories, bad theories die quickly. Ideas don't have to prove or predict anything, they can be total nonsense, that's why they're "just ideas". Of course, there is nothing to prevent a good idea being developed into a theory - that often happens - but the difference between idea and theory is enormous, and that is the point to be kept in mind.

Finally, a couple of examples:

Gravity: a theory, first developed by Newton, further refined by Einstein, now an accepted truth.

God: an idea, first developed by many different people, has had no refinement for thousands of years, that's why it's still an idea.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jay said...

Well, this is just a theory, but I think someone got up on the wrong side of the bed last night :)

4:01 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see a semblance of semantics in your senescent writings.

10:12 am  
Blogger Geo said...

Well Anonymous, I suppose I should be glad about the semantics but I wonder; did you deduce senescence purely from the style or from the content? Tell the truth now!

1:15 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Senescence is, I am fairly sure, evidenced from the style and the content, what's more, your reply confirms I am correct!

5:30 pm  
Blogger Geo said...

Anonymous, correctness in this case is a question of degree. You are about 55% correct, just on the better side of being wrong!

But no matter, now that you have a rough idea of my age, I hope you will continue reading and commenting if you wish.

7:47 pm  
Blogger Geo said...

Jay; I get up on the wrong side almost every day! I've known 3 "Jays" in my life, all Americans, I wonder if I know you?

7:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ideas may be ," just ideas," but everything begins with one! Even you began with one! The problem with finding God, is that people always seem to think that it is other than what they are, therefore look outward. We are that divinity which we are seeking. We are that which is creating. Evolving, we will become that which we always already were. look up Advaita.

8:00 pm  
Blogger Geo said...

Anonymous; the trouble with being anonymous is that there are so many of you, pick a name so I can address you more personally.

Yes, my father was a man of ideas, at least 7 of them since I have 4 brothers and 2 sisters!

When I was younger I used to have that "I am God" philosophy but people find it off-putting.

8:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home